PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Generals now looking for employment.
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2013, 08:22
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Amos has made accountability a hallmark of his tenure at the top of the corps and said that the command is a "sacred responsibility."
and

Gurganus, who has commanded American Marines in Haiti, Iraq and Afghanistan, released a statement Monday in which he said he respected the commandant's decision.
"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve beside and lead Marines for over 37 years," Gurganus said. "I will treasure that forever. I have complete trust and confidence in the leadership of our Corps and fully respect the decision of our commandant."
Without debating the rights and wrongs of the decision, how refreshing is it to see leadership making accountability such a high priority. Even more respect to Gurganus for taking the decision like a man.

Contrast that with the UK where no leader wants to rock the boat and glaring errors in the decision making process result in promotion and OBE's for those that really should be demoted or thrown out. I can't think of a single military leader or politician that has been held to account through professional incompetence since the Foreign Secretary resigned during the Falklands conflict.