PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EPST
Thread: EPST
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2001, 01:24
B747-SP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi there!

I am in no way an official spokeperson for EPST but I feel that I could help here.

Having been involved somewhat in their selection process, I can tell you that EPST is a professional organisation.

They do not guarantee you a place with BA.
They, in conjunction with WMU can only recommend you to the BA Self Sponsored Pilot recruitment scheme. OAT do the same I believe.

They do however, guarantee that you will be placed into the right hand seat of a jet through CTC known as the ATP scheme.

If you are not selected for or by BA, then you will go through the ATP scheme.

The ATP scheme involves being placed in an airline for 6 months as a first officer. The respective airline will then offer you employment subject to suitability.

Selection for EPST is not easy. You have to complete a computer aptitude test, mathematical and mechanical tests, group assessments, an interview, and a simulator check. This is all done to figure out if you have the 'right stuff' to jump into a right hand seat of a jet immediately after training with the bare minimum of 200 hrs. The selection also gives the bank confidence that the $88,000 unsecured loan can be paid back....with interest of-course.

I would not say that the cadets are naive. They are wannabes with the aspiration to fly for a living despite the 'apparent' drawbacks.

Here is something for all to ponder on: there is no such thing as free pilot training. There is however 'interest free' pilot training. BA cadets effectively pay off part of the costs during their first five years of training. (FO starting salary p/a - a few bob = CEP salary p/a)

BMI cadets pay half on ab-initio and more is deducted from them still after training for a few years.

I've been babbling on for a bit now but I think by now, you've got my drift, so that now you can adjust your thought heading and you will be pretty much on track as far as EPST is concerned. (Cheesy I know, but hey, someones gotta say it )

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year all.

SP