PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Octuber 10th: 14.000 ATCO´s called for a pan-European action day!!
Old 26th Sep 2013, 20:51
On the beach

Location: On a foreign shore trying a new wine diet. So far, I've lost 3days!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By a strange coincidence I happen to be travelling on the 14th. Booked ages ago.

As a retired controller, after a 35 year career, I can relate to legitimate grievances (management was and always will be peopled by those that couldn't control) and I was employed during strike action but again by a strange coincidence I was always on days off when strike action took place. What I did notice, as a result of strike action, was that those who struck generally didn't achieve whatever it was that they went on strike for, apart from inconveniencing the general public and only ended up losing a days pay.

As I understand it the latest "call to strike" it is to protest against the introduction of SESAR. So, who initiated this? The French? The Spanish? The Greeks? The British? And what do they hope to achieve? An improvement in working conditions? A better salary? Better equipment? No, it appears to be the status quo?

To achieve that just go to work and watch Management try to implement SESAR and save a days pay. Eurocontrol was supposed to be the forerunner of SESAR and how many years has this been going now and how many Euro countries does it control?

I'm not saying it's not a good idea but are the present Managements capable enough to pull it off? History seems to say not. So, why waste a days pay, just sit back and wait for Management to negotiate with politicians (yawn, check watch, yawn, check calendar, yawn, check pension, yawn, retire. Yawn, P.S. Is SESAR implemented yet?).

On the beach

P.S. I'm on a ferry on the 14th!