PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of CAA UK ATPL Examinations!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2001, 09:53
Polar_stereographic

THTF,

I must say that I don't agree with you for several reasons.

I've had a CPL for nearly 10 years now, but never realy done anything CPL related to it. It's fair to say that I've been out of the loop for a while now, and the deadlines have come as a surpise to me. CAA are quick to take your money, but they know who we are, and surely they should at the least send a letter advising of the changing rules.

In addition, I'm not sure that they know what the current state of play is with the regs. Testimony to this is the amount of correspondense on this board alone. I've spent ages on the phone to them, written countless letters, and in some areas I'm none the wiser. Further evidence of the JAA cock up is the introduction of the 'National' PPL. I would not bet against a 'National' CPL or abandonment of the JAA. I rest my case.

If someone embarkes upon a career of dentistry, and was told that the requirement was 3 years study and 3 years practical, then one was qualified to practice, there would be an outrage if after 6 years one was told that there was more to do, or the exams had changed and more study was required. That's commercial aviation in the UK.

Sorry to rant, but a pet hate of mine.

Basicaly, if you get a commercial job reasonably quickly after getting all the licence requirements, the commercial aviation sector is behind you to protect your licence. As an individual, you are shafted.