PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Do You Think?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2013, 09:19
Exo.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going on a helicopter ride would imply the pilot would be involved in conversation with the passengers. Probably in the form of a running commentary.

Another distraction from our duties of flying the aircraft, no?

If one had time on top of that to text, then I would agree that there's something odd going on.

That said, I've texted a deteriorating weather condition to my colleague who was readying to lift for a trip, whilst routing back to base with pax on board (we don't have an ops frequency to use and it wouldn't be picked up at that altitude and range combination anyway).

A commercial pilot should really be aware of when it may be appropriate and when it's not - for example in this case, a lot of the texting was done whilst sitting on the ground waiting for the passenger to load.

In my humble opinion, the texting had nearly nothing to do with the crash, as he should have organised a fuel uptake when he did his initial planning, instead of lying about fuel reserves throughout the flight. He may well have been just as distracted by the prospect of a night out with his lady whether he had been texting her or not...