PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Medals of Honor.....Two Sad Days!
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2013, 11:16
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It certainly does not make pleasant reading and much respect must go to the guys on the ground who sadly paid the ultimate price.

A few folks have quite correctly pointed out how we are not in possession of all the facts and I will add myself to that list.

I note these brave soldiers were 'instructors' trainers or advisers.. You pays your money and takes your pick over the terminology but this type of role has been going on for many, many years and usually we the general public have no idea of where we have 'boots on the ground'

Could it be that those we are being so critical of were simply not in the loop? They had absolutely no idea that there were US forces on the ground, they had no idea these US forces were genuine? I am playing devils advocate and it is easy to say that when we have folks screaming for instant air support, we should go in with all guns blazing but that decision is only easy when we are sat in our nice, comfortable armchairs, several thousands of miles away from that awful situation.

This is definitely not the first time that 'advisers' have come under enemy fire and have paid the ultimate price but in times gone by they would have simply died on a 'training exercise' No medals, no acknowledgement of their brave deeds, just a short sentence saying how they died whilst on a training exercise and the next of kin have been informed! at least these brave souls have been recognised and rewarded for their valour.

Those that refused to send that requested support have to live with that decision and if they are decent human beings, that is not going to be an easy cross to bear.

I salute those brave soldiers
John