PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - troublesome PAX and doors in flight
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2013, 11:07
phlyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
troublesome PAX and doors in flight

hi all,

a slightly off the wall question prompted by a recent discussion betwix self and a mate at work.

He'd recently come back off hols and whilst cloud dodging, one of the numpties down the back was having a fannyfit, nissed as a pewt, tried to get the door open. As usual the CC seemingly did their bit and the jet was diverted etc etc.

Me being me and having a few PAX hours under my belt, I think we should leave these berks to it, or better still hit em with something heavy, as I worked out a bit back with approx pressures of external (4-5psi) and internal pressures (8psi), multiplied over say a 5 by 3ft door, I reckon that theres about 4 tons of pressure holding that door shut at usual cruise alts. surely the handle would break long before the door moved?

So, the question is: if my basic calcs are anywhere near right and its physically impossible for a human to open a plug door in flight, apart from the disruption factor, which admittedly could unnerve quite a few people, would any harm actually come about if such berks were just left alone to tire themselves out? and do any of you Profs have any thoughts etc on it?

answer, abuse etc...

Phil