PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The British Aircraft Corporation TSR-2 - Excellent Documentary
Old 11th Sep 2013, 21:13
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not touting for business, but it's out there if you're interested in the subject. I did the book because I wanted to try and put the record straight as best I could, not because I have any political agenda (I've never voted in my entire life!) but I think it's frustrating when a subject becomes an urban myth. It's easy to keep saying Healey destroyed TSR2 and the tales of "men in black" chopping-up jigs make good drama, but it would be pretty sad if such a significant project was mis-represented forever.

As it is, the story is still a hugely significant one, as it illustrates so clearly how ineptly the whole project was handled, and just how difficult Britain's position was in terms of defence posture. TSR2 was a magnificent aeroplane but it was quite literally ahead of its time. Everyone involved with the project seems to have acted with the best of intentions but with so much politics driving it, there was no way that it could have matured into a practical warplane. It's undoubtedly frustrating to speculate what a superb aircraft it might have been but then, it's always easy to bestow credit on what might have been