PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education advice?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2013, 08:46
Kelvin_C-J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try and be completely honest here and do not think you will like it, but I will try to offer my own personal opinion and advice - which may not reflect correct, sound or well-informed advice - so please bear that in mind.

Typically, I would imagine there are three types of flight training types:
1) Those who have the financial backing of their families
2) Those that can self-fund their training
3) Those that take out loans to fund their dream

Unless you are lucky enough to be in position 1), anything with regards to flight training is a gamble, expense and uncertainty.

You could be well one day, invest 50k into some training - then have an accident, incident or other - which renders you unable to complete the training. (Okay, some organisations offer refunds for incomplete / uncompleted parts).

If you did that with loan money - as an example, it would be very bad news indeed. Perhaps likely to even result in a debt spiral.

As you note - some people have completed the training, only to find that no jobs exist or that they are unable to proceed with their dream.

You only have to look at other threads on this forum - to see that, unless you have an endless pool of money, a job straight out of training is unlikely. Many people now have to pay-to-fly as a FO, to be considered, due to the saturation of the industry with high-hours applicants. (At the present moment).

However - it is surely not all that bad - if you do not mind where you work, are flexible, the opportunities are and will be out there.

Further - the type of work is also an important factor. In your last reply - it seems you have stated that you will never be able to afford the training - and yet you are determined to try.

Perhaps considering some 'middle-ground' careers could be useful - a flight instructor, for example - not the same as a commercial airline pilot - but offers many of the benefits - perhaps more depending upon how you look at it.

Ultimately it comes down to risk and how much of one you are willing to take.

You could put everything on the line and loose everything - but what is more important here to you, personally? That you tried or that you have nothing left?

If it is the latter then obviously you are risk concious and would like some security.

If it is the former then I would diagnose you with an obsession over aviation and that it is quite clear you will not be satisfied until you have exhausted every last attempt to try and get in the air (like many and like myself, I am sure).

Most importantly - I think you need to make sure you know how you are going to afford the flight training.

If you do not mind taking loans - you could try and start whenever.

An education - as noted, does not really make any great distinction - otherwise, there would be little need for aptitude or flight tests.

However most of the courses I have seen (scholarships aside) seem to require at-least self-funded PPL training (which is not pocket-change around 6-8k).

Once you know how you are going to fund your dream - the rest is a matter of application.