PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC advice please!
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2013, 15:50
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of slowing doing my IR(r). Aiming for the end of the year but that is going to be tight. Remember that each lesson may well be 1 1/2 hours rather than the 1 hour PPL lessons (it takes 15min to follow the procedure / do an SRA at my home base).
How is your mental maths? Lots of trying to work out: wind correction angles / radials to fly / turn 30 deg one way than 180 degress the other / turn 30 deg at 3 degrees per second, so how many seconds to turn for at rate 1.
My mental maths is appalling so that's what I'm practising...

Ideally you would spend some time getting used to being a VFR PPL first before doing this - I agree. I did around 5 hours of bits and pieces before starting (and ideally would have been more).

Note:
a) Experience
i) 25 hours total experience as pilot of aeroplanes following PPL issue and which
may include the training for the IMC rating.
ii) 10 hours as Pilot in Command of aeroplanes to including 5 hours as Pilot in
Command of aeroplanes on cross-country flights.
So not much point in starting until after you have got your licence. Mind you - its a 10 working day turn-a-round by the CAA at the moment...

In saying that - if you're like me, you have a number of things after your skill test which you want to practice. I don't want to think how many PFLs I've practised in those 5 hours since the skill test. Its also good to make sure you keep up currency - so if you have the opportunity - go up again anyway.

PS - Congrats on the Skill Test!!

Last edited by riverrock83; 9th Sep 2013 at 15:52.