PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC advice please!
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2013, 13:46
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the rating in under 20 hours including the test but spent many more on MS Flight Sim. I still revise on MS FS before the renewal test every 25 months.
So do I. And it doesnt matter how many different wind configurations I try, I can always do fairly decent holds and NDB approaches on MS FlightSim, but in real life on my IMC renewal I always seem to mess it up. I think a mixture of nerves; lack of decent situational awareness in an examined situation; winds certainly not being that which is forecast; changing wind conditions in the descent; the fact that MS FlightSim doesnt display ADF dip error; the fact that the training aircraft's instruments and equipment are (IMHO) a bit iffy. No problem with anything else - just ADF holds, which although are not mandatory on a renewal, always seem to be issued to me by Cambridge ATC Arggghhh.

In my experience, the thing with the IMCr is that a lot of people just use it to fly in and get above cloud, only use approaches as fail-safe or as an alternative to a home-made letdown, and certainly never would want to do a NDB hold 'just for fun'. A great rating to have though :-)