PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2013, 12:52
oldflyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don'T fit...

I certainly am not maligning any type of plane, certainly not one that in my younger years I dreamed of owning. Certainly body types may differ. This was just the facts that I observed on my quest to buy a 252, 262 conversion, or a Rocket conversion and the reason I started looking elsewhere. Seating.. The big difference is an Arrow has mostly straight sides where the seat is And a Mooney is more curved. The Mooney you sit closer to the floor with your feet out more. Now I am talking about the ones I was looking to buy now. I can't compare directly that with ones I recall flying when I was 160lbs and 25 years younger. The 252's had my butt pushed so far to the right that the console dug into my right leg. You can look at where the seat is and see that even though the cabin at its widest is about the same as the arrow because of that curvature that helps make the Mooney so speedy the hip area width is not the same. I sit much more upright in the Arrow. I can easily move my feet right and left and prop one leg up. I flew several Mooneys and sat in many more. I felt more cramped in the Mooney with a 180 lb guy next to me than I did when I took a 290 guy with me in the right seat of my Arrow. I really REALLY wanted a MOONEY but for me. I was extremely uncomfortable as in The 252 I felt like I was in a cocoon with my legs captured in a hole and almost straight out. Now all of that is probably dependent as I said to start on My Height verses my weight. I don't know. But that is in fact the reason I abandoned looking at 252's and sought a different answer. Have a great day..