PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2013, 23:53
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomJoad
So the acid test is whether the crime is not against property rather than humanity - humanity falling below the bar, surely not!.
I'm not sure I actually understand the question; or if it was a question. I wasn't trying to start a debate on the balance of seriousness of offences against property against those against the person.

Anyway,

Originally Posted by TomJoad
Legality by what measure ?
The measure is whether a Country has gone into another country with the intention of subduing it or otherwise asserting its self appointed authority (eg NAZI Germany). Balanced to this is a Country exercising its own authority and laws within its own borders (eg Syria). The point I was making is that the actions of what the "Nazi boot" did in Europe is not relevant or equivalent to what Assad may or may not be doing in his own Country. I'm not saying that its morally right, but legallity doesn't always mirror morality.

My own view is that until the head shed UN decrees that foreign intervention is legal, we should keep our beaks out. If, on the other hand, yer man Assad was to be daft enough to make a direct offensive threat to a NATO Member (and not simply responding in principle to a threat made by a NATO Member), that becomes a whole new argument.