PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair secrets?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2013, 07:47
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
PPH....

In the last 5yrs there have been 7,500 safety reports made to the IAA, all investigated and no safety findings against Ryanair"

Where I work (non IAA) the vast majority of " Air Safety Reports" (ASRs) are filed for matters such as a go-around (no matter what the reason), deficiency in weather reporting/forecasting, deficiencies in Air Traffic Services, disruptive passengers/offloading of passengers, etc, etc. I could go on but I won't because my Ops manual has a four page list of instances where ASR's must be filed. Most of the listed reasons are in all honesty pretty trivial but are probably of vague interest to someone in the authority who is perhaps watching for trends developing. So the paperwork goes in, it counts as a report., but since it wasn't because of a wing falling off or an engine blowing up there's no flashing of lights and launching of "safety investigations".

It is very very rare that you'll ever file anything that the authority will ever take more than a passing interest in, and vanishingly rare that the authority will ask the company for further info.

I suspect the IAA's rules for filing ASR's will be similar, so I don't think MOL's comment is the least bit incredible.....in fact since Ryanair are operating high intensity shorthaul Ops to some fairly basic airports I'd say the fact that they are only filing 4 a day across the whole airline means they're are doing well.

Last edited by wiggy; 8th Sep 2013 at 08:08.