PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2013, 23:54
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong but the C was a Ranger?
Mine is a Mark 21, the '65 "C" Model. It does have the Johnson Bar and hydraulic flaps as well as the 180hp carburetted O360 A1A. That model became the Ranger in later times, some sources say in 1974 but I believe earlier. The ranger is pretty close to the Mark 21, but has a few differences such as the retracable step which is automatic on mine is I believe gone or hand driven with the Ranger. More "C" Models have been produced of any Mooney than any of the others, followed by the 201.

I used to fly a C with the Johnson Bar Gear Lever. Was a lot of fun and a great simple and fast aircraft. I have about 50 hrs in C,E's,and F,s I seem to recall the E's had that kind of Lever for sure. Loved to play now you see it now you don't with the gear but woah baby you better get them stowed before reaching 85 MPH or you needed to be Swarzenegger.
Yep, that is right. All of them had it until the late 1960ties when electrical gear and flaps became optional and then standard. I like it, because it is pretty fail safe, as long as you remember to lock the gear properly in the downlock. Some people found out that this takes more than just sticking the johnson bar's top into the receptible, you need to push it in with force until the locker pin "clicks". Forget that, and things can become expensive really fast.

I really looked hard at a Mooney again as I had over 60 hours in them but alas they just don't fit me too well at my fat boy weight.
That is what I thought as well, as at least my flight surgeon calls me obese. But I fit in the seat pretty much without any problem and do not think the "C" is narrower than, say, an Arrow or a normal Cherokee, but it is not as high in the cabin. The main problem are the back seats, which really fit children but not much else. I flew an Arrow before the Mooney and could not really see too much of a difference. Both of them are planes where you better know your passengers well because you are quite close to them during the flight. But it is over much faster too

But every Time I fly into Kerrville and see that now closed Mooney Factory just sitting there I think. If Only I was a hundred pounds skinnier... Certainly The older C's & E's were much better at hauling people that weren't twigs than the 252's etc.
Yes, the C and E are the Mooneys with reasonable payload, thanks to partly the smaller tanks (I wish I had the 64 USG of the "F" and "J/201) and engine weight. The worst must be the Ovation and Acclaim on LR tanks. the 252 is by many regarded as the "best" compromise in terms of speed, payload and endurance, personally I think the 201 holds that closer.

Have a good day, you have a great plane.
Thanks! Yea I love what I got for my money, I also like the costs so far (much less than comparable planes) and ease of maintenance. For me, who is a normal employee with a normal salary, the M20C is the ideal airplane I can afford and which will go much faster than anything else I could think of financially. And btw, one of them made it to Oskosh from Europe a few years back.