PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2013, 14:17
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
The general contempt for international law here suggests a rather disturbing trend. One can only hope this attitude predominates only among jaded veterans and is not prevalent among those still serving, especially those with any sort of command responsibility.
You need to understand, Broadsword***, that International Law is only as good as the norms it grows from, and its enforcement, like any other body of law. It's a bit less clear than the local statute against dumping hazmat in the local reservoir. Sadly, since you don't understand that, you seem to have put "international law" up on a pedastal in an ivory tower. Of course you are going to be disappointed ... you've set yourself up for it. Some people are under fewer illusions about what international law is, and how it gets established or followed.

Neil Macdonaldof the CBC
More than two years ago, Obama and his officials began declaring that Assad must go. Now, fearing who might come next, “regime change” in Syria is out, and “containment” is in. Any military strikes will somehow be limited to deterring use of chemical weapons without influencing the outcome of the civil war — as though such a thing is possible.
He put his finger right on the G spot there ...
He then goes on to endorse the idea that America must accept the Muslim world's blame for the Crusades, and all other colonial malfeasance in the Mid East by the west's varoius powers, as a valid guilt by association.

Well, **** him, and **** every cnut who takes that position.

I don't blame the Egyptians for what Saddam did to the Kurds, because I am not an idiot. I also don't blame the Ayatollah today for what the Persians did to the Greeks back before Alexander's time, because, again, I am not an idiot.
But America singles itself out. And, of course, so did Barack Obama. He was going to be so different. It would appear he’s not.
Whilst I appreciate Neil's frustration with American exceptionalism, since I guess it makes his Canadian dick smaller (???), even though that very principle has been an immense benefit to Canada since about 1917, and a lot of the world thanks to American Exceptionalism's influence on the UN being started, sustained, and funded for about 70 years ... **** him again.

Neil wrote a pretty good article, and a good critique of the policy fubars currently in progress. That he could not contain his less brilliant feelings is unfortunate, but not fatal.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 5th Sep 2013 at 14:24.