PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2013, 10:42
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is certainly true that Arrows (as well as other PA28 variants of 180hp +) are great load carriers. I saw then when I was evaluating my ride, yet for me, the situation was different. Yea, I'd have loved to get an Arrow or TB20 for the range and speed but could not afford either, both at the time (2009) for the money to buy and to keep. I looked at a wonderful Arrow 2 but when I saw their maintenance bills, I had to bow out as they were double of what I had previously seen on a normal PA28-180.

Then again, for an aircraft you want to travel in, speed is something very important and it does save you money. Yes, a 150 kt airplane is more expensive to rent or own than a 90 kt PA28-140 but if you look at the cost per distance, they can get cheaper. I did a roughly 20 hour roundtrip in my airplane at 140 kt (Mooney M20C) which in a 90 kt plane would have needed 30 hours! Well, 20 hours Mooney are cheaper than 30 hours PA28, a lot cheaper actually.

I settled for my Mooney M20C (180hp carburetted engine) because for me it was the perfect compromise between affordable upkeep and performance. With manual gear and flaps I found maintenance costs about 10% on top of what I'd have paid had I bought that old Cherokee 180, but hey, it flies 30 kts faster at less fuel per hour. And it will carry 280 kg (617 lb) with full 52 USG of fuel over 600 NM or up to 900 lb with half full, which will allow for some 250 NM plus reserves. For me, it was the ONE affordable airplane with acceptable speed and range. And I felt it was better to get on with it and fly rather than spend another 2 years looking for that elusive fliwatüt which I can't afford but would tick a few boxes more...

It's surely nice if you can select the ideal airplane you would like for your mission and have the funds to do so. Not many of us do however. In which case, it is just as well to go for a compromise and find out how to use it best.

In any case, most of us who have their own airplane will think theirs is the BEST and everyone who doesn't see their point is just being silly. Well, we are different people, folks! One likes this, the other that.

What I have seen of the Arrow, it is a lovely traveller and not more or less problematic than other aircraft, if a bit on the thirsty side. I'd fly one any time, it did remind me a bit of the Senecas I flew before. It is still a very different animal to the fixed gear PA28's and rightly so. 20-30 kts more will demand some differences.