PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 16:15
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangarshuffle
Friday the 6th or Saturday the 7th for the night of the attack if I goes ahead at all now. No moon and will be as black as a witches hat. Also gives him time to cut some sort of compromise or permission beforehand with Putin and Xi Jinping or their representatives at whatever G(7 or 20) meeting they are now just about gathering to.
As good a guess as I've seen in a while.
Any practical effect of these attacks for the common good of saving the innocents will be slight.
Agreed, though that depends on how much strking is done and on what.
More a face saver now for the US President than anything else if he does strike. He has to attack, he's played himself into a corner. Played a very poor hand really, very publically lost an (the) key allie with the UK, hasn't really looked decisive.
He can save face if Congress tells him to FO ... well, some of it. He already has egg on his.
I still find his whole tone towards the UK very patronising and at times actually offensive, so I am a little jaundiced towards him of course.
Don't blame you, he's a bit tone deaf to our best allies. His diplomacy bitch Hillary, first term, was far too cosy with the bitch from Argentina in re their bellowing about Las Malvinas.
From sending the head back to the Smithsonian, to BP, to stiffing the Queen at the Normandy thing, to his comments about the UK military in Afghanistan - you can read him like a bad book, and deep down this man is not a friend to the UK at all. He doesn't need us but yet he did seem to need us,it must rile him even more.
He doesn't grasp the benefit of the special relationship.
Egypt and the very recent military coup (with hundreds of civilians gunned down by the military and police) now faded off the TV completely (even here in the Middle East, its just faded out, let alone UK). No one from the west speaks about attacking the military there of course.
It's still close enough to stable to be smart not to intervene.
Sad but I found myself actually agreeing more with Putin today and recently than my own PM or the so called leader of the free world. I must be jaded.
Just because he's president doesn't mean he's always right. That's part of why we have that balance of powers thing over here: it is at times a curb on bad ideas getting too much momentum. Not saying it always works, but it does sometimes.

Your post had a lot of good meat in it. Thanks.

EDIT:
Whomever posted this analysis: thank you. Folks are trying to put the puzzle pieces together. Not an easy job when bullets and bombs are a daily bit of the environment.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 4th Sep 2013 at 16:19.