PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two more Jabirus down
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 20:06
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morituri te salutant ?

Watched the video with some interest: couple of things caught my attention.

The benefit of good sound training and lots of practice; apart from natural talent, the instructor has clearly done many hours of training students to forced landings; it was nice to see the "training" kick in smoothly during a real event; just another day at the office. The lessons, hard learned from way back, when engine failure and forced landings were a little more 'routine' than nowadays are still valid – even if considered, by some to be little more than a PIA or a box to be ticked. It's probably a once in lifetime event, but the stand out for me was the way the training and practice produced calm, confident management of what could, in less practiced hands become a nasty, sad event. Well done training, well done practice and nicely done that young man.

Another small, although highly debatable issue is that of circuit size; at one time it was that every landing was a 'glide' approach; the aircraft never any further away from the paddock than the glide distance. Now I'm just saying – there's merit in that the routine practice 'management' of the critical last few hundred feet (say from turning base) without donkey assistance reduced at least some of the pucker factor; and, the confidence gained from practice would be beneficial should the noise stop, sudden like.

Anyway – being totally ignorant of the "Jab", can someone provide the glide speed ? please, it probably was the camera lying (again), but the thing seemed to me to be a bit 'quick', I held my breath the last 3 seconds before touch; as I say camera and all that, but curious now.

Edit to add – even before the donkey croaks, at the first sign of 'bovver' the instructor is looking for a user friendly paddock, also it seems to me that whatever checks could be done, before during and after were done (although ignorance is bliss), watch the first few seconds again.

I do second the motion to have young men of that calibre on the flight deck; nicely done. Indeed, bravo and Choccy frogs all around....

Last edited by Kharon; 3rd Sep 2013 at 20:39. Reason: After thoughts - or creaking of old machinery.