PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 14:05
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crab

As a retired RAF SAR pilot and 20yr offshore pilot I would put your interest foremost. The civilian market is totally different to the services with its constant movement of aircrew on posting. Once a civilian company has the required number of pilots that is it, it doesn't matter how qualified and attractive to the company you are they won't offer you a job as all positions are filled. The churn rate of companies can also be small, depending on the economy and job situation, so it could be years before a opening appears.

Timing is everything. I went to look round Bond on a Monday and they offered me a job starting the next day as they had vacancies - a lot of their pilots had gone fixed wing - and I was already NS qualified having spent 3 yrs flying in all weathers from Lossie - oil companies at that time required Commanders to have at least 1 winter operating in the NS before they would allow you to fly on their contracts.

I also became a Commander in Sep that year - right place, time and qualifications.

About 1 year later the fixed wing opportunities dried up so nobody left and therefore Bond recruitment became virtually non-existent.

If you have the chance to leave the RAF now with a job offer from Bristows which suits you I would go because the RAF will only be interested in trying to keep the SAR flights going until Bristows have taken over. If by then Bristows is full then it could be "sandy side" or OIL and GAS if they need pilots!!

HF

Last edited by Hummingfrog; 3rd Sep 2013 at 14:06.