PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons to fail a type rating course
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2003, 20:38
I. M. Esperto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm ATP rated on the B-707,720,727,747,767, and L-1011.

I never busted a rating, but I was with 2 that that did.

The first was a B-727 @MKC. Student, Bob, an experienced B-707 Captain, made a FD approach to minimums, and the Inspector removed the shield. Bob saw he was not exactly perfect, so he decided to go around, then changed his mind, closed the throttles, and attempted to salvage it. That's a no-no, gentlemen.

Re-checked after a few sims, and did OK. Died of a coronary at age 39. Go figure.

Next was an oral that went bad with a buddy of mine. At JFK, FAA Inspector. I went first in the B-747 sim., and the inspector wrote me off.

Bill took the seat, and was doing fine. Bill BTW is a big Red Haired Scottsman from Prestwick, with an Irish temper. I saw the inspector sign him off, but he didn't tell Bill.

He said "One more thing Captain, what is this switch for ?" He pointed to the guarded switch on the overhead panel that operates the emergency gear extension.

Bill answered in his finest burr, that it was for the extension of the LG if the main system failed. "Right. Now how does it work? Bill told him it was a pneumatic system, operated by air pressure. (I could see him getting red in the face.).

"Correct. Does air pressure blow the gear down, or what?"

Bill looked him right in the eye and said "You cut the safety wire, lift the guard, and throw the switch."

"Yes, true, but what makes the gear go down?" said the inspector.

Bills reply was a classic. I wish I had a recorder.

"Ya throw the fookin switch, and the fookin gear goes down and fookin well locks, every fookin time!"

The inspector tore up the sign off, and Bill had to do it another time.