PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 13:47
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Stuffy:
Paul Craig Roberts' shrill noise about how America was about to start a war with Iran, back in 2007 or so, and crying wolf at the top of his lungs damaged his credibility. His cabinet experiences over thirty years ago are useful for his efforts at making points on how things happen at "high levels" but they do not provide him insights into the current states of play.

He's wrong more often than he isn't. He continues his squealing for the benefit of anyone who will put his byline on an article. I still like to read his stuff, as it isn't standard MSM output, but have no illusions about how close his predictions are to reality.

As to the "defer to Congress" move in progress, I am glad for that. If Assad is about to get whacked in a few weeks, he has plenty of time to move things around, a series of events that I am sure will be watched carefully. There is also more time for the UN team to provide more information, of whatever utility.

If he won't, in the end, get whacked then I lose no sleep. I remain disappointed in President Obama for painting himself into a corner with the red line gambit. Self inflicted wound, that.

The question remains: if the Arab League will not come out in favor of a strike on Assad, a show of support that was provided when the Libya thing went down, what in the name of all that is beer is the reason that our President feels compelled to do so, and the French? Something politically is going all crossed wires, as I see it. The political element of war is as important, even more important, than the things that go BOOM when fired.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 2nd Sep 2013 at 14:03.