PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 08:09
hanoijane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuks, honey,

You silly sausage! Technicals are so 1980's. No-one with any style would be seen on one now! Today's must-have accessory is an Igla. The colour co-ordinates so well with my new Diesel jeans!

I fully support the right, if things get really bad, for the citizens of a country to kill each other if they wish. To fight for their own personal versions of freedom, be that to ride a bike or to stop people riding bikes.

War is simply a disagreement gone physical, usually on a national or international scale. And it only ends when one side kills sufficient numbers of the other to ensure they lose interest in continuing the disagreement. Now, with Totaler Krieg, Kürzester Krieg being the flavour of the day, everyone gets to play, even those without the means to defend themselves.

So is getting involved as a third party the smart option? Possibly, if you choose the 'right' side or if you have something to gain down the road if they win. But you shouldn't pretend you're doing it to 'stop the killing' 'cos, by golly, the only way you're going to do that is by helping to kill lots and lots of the other side.

If the UK, the USA, Russia or whoever really feel they have something to gain in Syria (and I suspect they do) then sure, wander along and choose a side. You can employ 'targeted warfare' with 'minimum collateral damage'. I'm sure it'll help lots. But remember, all you're doing is killing people and scaring the remainder into submission. You aren't destroying ideas, concepts, philosophies. And those are your real enemies.

One thing's for sure. The values espoused by both sides in this particular conflict will live beyond the eventual outcome, whatever it is. And you'll have to do this all over again, somewhere else, until you discover a more permanent way of solving this particular disagreement.

Enjoy your war :-)

Last edited by hanoijane; 2nd Sep 2013 at 08:12. Reason: to correct some shockingly bad grammar