PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 20:45
hanoijane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, chuks, I'm playing with my numb nipples, now leave me alone!

You want me babe, I know you do.

SASless,

Mommy said I can talk to you once more if you promise not to say 'you had to be there'. It makes me giggle uncontrollably and is bad for my surgically enhanced bosom.

Errr... where to start? Tet? OK. Yes, Tet.

That was about tweaking the American tail, but it was also about removing from circulation a significant percentage of the southern communist party - the VC - who you will know were not well thought of by those in the north. NVA regulars were hardly involved. It was a VC led series of actions. You do know the difference, right?

To put it simplistically, the northerners hung the southerners out to dry. If it worked, the north would take advantage and roll on down. If it didn't, a shock for the Yankees combined with the removal of a potential headache for the north. As you know, the VC were pretty much decimated, to be replaced by a northern trained cadre over the next few years. Problem solved.

Remember, the north was playing the long game. You weren't. When the war ended there was no communist party in the south to deal with, just well trained northerners. Smart, huh?

What the hell were you doing at DBP? That wasn't your war.

Ah, at the Chinese border too? Perhaps seeing where the Chinese (mis)adventure was played out? Another bloody nose for an invader.

As for the Vietnamese being nice to you... well, they are a polite people who accept the vagaries of life with a smile. And you're an old man now. No reason to harbour a grudge. The elderly are respected in Asia.

I assure you they tell the French that they like them and that it's the Americans who were bad. It's just a game. Offend no-one, at least not when they're standing in front of you.

True story. About five years ago I was at My Son 'cos I have a passing interest in Chiem Thanh architecture. I come across this western fellow crying like a baby next to an area still roped off because it's yet to be cleared. Long story short, it turns out he was one of the guys who dropped ordnance on this place when it was used by the VC, and now he returns, sees it's beautiful and feels ashamed.

A small crowd of local tourists has gathered. They ask what's wrong and I translate. Much sympathy and touching occurs. Western guy goes away thanking everyone. After he's gone, one guy turns to the other and says 'Weak bast*rds the Americans', and the crowd mumbles its agreement.

The point is, the Vietnamese don't care about you, or the Chinese or the Russians or Communism or Capitalism or even the damn war. It's past. Gone. History. All they care about is themselves. And, on a good day, their family. And that's it.

So swim around in angst and misery all you wish. View your world through 45 year old glasses. Continue to blame the wrong people. Fail to learn the lessons - though, to be fair, you seem to have learnt some.

I've never really known where I stand on this issue. Do I admire the Americans who come back? Do I pity them? I still don't have an answer. Probably never will.

One thing I suspect we agree on. When I first arrived in VN back in the 1990's someone told me that 'You may leave Viet Nam, but Viet Nam will never leave you' I think it's a quote from a Graham Greene novel but have never bothered to check. Anyway, I thought it was utter nonsense, but they were right. Viet Nam has my heart and, I suspect, has seen the best of me. Yet it's not my home. I wish it were.

At different times we've both flown in the same sky. I think that will have to do.

With respect and with kind regards,

Jane.

Yes mommy, the bad man is going away now...