PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 17:40
hanoijane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuks,

OMG, you said the 'you had to be there' thing! That IMMEDIATELY negates anything you said from there on in. ROTFL!!!!!

SASless, honey,

This is my last comment on this because my mommy won't let me stay up late talking to bad people on the Internets. And it's only the Internets so no-one really gives a hoot anyway...

You don't speak Vietnamese. This I guarantee. You still don't understand either the people or the county. This too I guarantee. You seek answers in a neat package. This I understand.

Almost everyone in 'South' Viet Nam of a certain age has a story to tell about the disproportionate use of force by Americans during the American war. Even those on the side of the Republic. Now they're either all fantasists or there is truth in their tales. You choose which you prefer.

The vast majority of the literature written by 'Vets' supports the hypothesis that most neither knew or cared why they were there, that winning 'hearts and minds' was not exactly a prime concern, and that compassion or respect for their adversary simply didn't exist. Or are you telling me they were all wrong? Again, take your pick.

The failure of the American supported regime to gain the trust of the local population created the very basis for the eventual collapse of the Republic. They trusted the other side more. Game over.

Yes, I'm certain there were good people on your side. Just not enough to make a difference.

Like most in Viet Nam today I have no real interest in wars past. As I keep being told, I'm part of a 'soft generation who couldn't do what we did'. And they're probably right. I have never seen the Hanoi Hilton and only visited the War Crimes Museum 'cos it was on the curriculum. The Chinook is a recent addition (4-5 years ago?) it wasn't there during my visit.

Again, SASless, the people who make the difference are the people who are actually on the ground, doing the fighting. Making sure they have the right mindset is a lesson you need to learn if you intend to keep on wandering into other peoples wars. Send scared barely-educated kids with their heads full of nonsense and you'll end up with another Viet Nam.

And you have, haven't you?

Now, it's time for my cuddle. May I go now?