PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any spare troops/fire engines chaps?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2013, 22:30
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Smudge
lets be clear about something. I and many thousands of committed firefighters do not want to strike. I'm not getting into whether I will or I won't........I did last time and we felt bad for the armed forces personnel who stepped in for us. I understand the economic situation this country finds itself in...........and all as a result of foolish politicians who's priorities are at best questionable. I agree with most of what you say.......I truly hope armed forces pensions haven't been affected because you know what........I'm humbled by the bravery of our boys and girls in the military.......truly humbled. The way our armed forces are treated is despicable.......I have some insight......my son is a former Royal Engineer. Dare I say it, but are you not missing the point? Why do our leaders feel able to squander our money and GIVE IT AWAY to people who've never contributed a damn thing.......whether they were born here or not, and yet we can't afford pensions for people who do the right thing........no wonder we can't afford pensions. Pensions need overhauling........career averaging makes sense to me. This country is in a mess........not because of people like you and I, but because of the fools who have their hands on the levers of power and their snouts in the trough. Remember the MP's expenses scandal........at least one member of the house of lords was jailed, and then returned to her seat in the lords on release. I'd be sacked, no question about it. I am not a left wing unionist......I'm Mr middle England.......really I am. I know I've a good job, and I understand that when I cease to be of use to my employer, I'll be discarded.....be it dismissal on capability grounds or my retirement. I'm not unrealistic or unreasonable either. I'll finish by saying, please, please don't believe what you read in the press.........that was the most upsetting thing for me in the last strike........they described firefighters that I just didn't recognise.......we all had second jobs, holiday homes in Florida etc, etc, but hey, that's the propaganda machine for you, right?
I'll get my coat!
Best wishes to you all
Dave