PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 09:01
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mymatetcm
and what did we do in Rwanda to stop the slaughter?
We followed America's led and refused to acknowledge that it was genocide. Clint has said more recently that it was one of his biggest regrets that he did not intervene. One might think cynically that he could say that once he was out of office.

Courtney - we may now find it much more difficult to justify the requirement for a sizeable offensive capability. . . . when it seems that money is needed forbenefits, schools, the NHS and HS2?

Any thoughts?
The Russians had the size of it when they declared they had Peace Making Forces not Peace Keeping Forces.

Defence policy has never really featured in Government manifestos. Yes, we declared a Peace Dividend, yes, they declared there would be a Strategic Defence Review (and another one) but what about a very basic policy.

Does Britain want a Peace Making Force or a Peace Keeping Force?

In FI, GW1 and GW2, we clearly employed Peace Making Force. Post GW2 and in Afg the role has been largely Peace Keeping, albeit a robust form of Peace Keeping.

Translate that to Syria today and we would have to commit a force that has largely been in a Peace Keeping role for the past 10 years. Would it fit?