PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2013, 20:15
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid this knee jerk stuff is absolute proof of the ignorance of our "great leaders" when the subject of fighting any kind of war be it civil or uncivil raises it's head... They just don't appreciate that unless we resort to pillow fighting with our enemy this stuff isn't pretty. There isn't a "nice" way to die in war whether you are a civilian or a soldier/sailor/airman. In the past they have managed to curry up sufficient popular support to make themselves look good. I'm afraid I agreed with the decisions to go into Iraq and Afghanistan.

Two questions remain for me:

1. Why don't I think this potential conflict is a good idea?

2. What is the justification?

To answer the first question, I have seen our vaunted leaders management of modern conflict. Rather than the traditional way of fighting a war, (walk in, kick arse, leave them to sort out their problems), the new way of fight a war is walk in, kick arse, underfund and under-equip your fighting men, tie their hands with silly ROE's and make them stand around being shot at until they are hit. In short, for some reason we feel a need to coddle our defeated enemy at the cost of our soldiers. That's wrong. Additionally, sofar we have managed to pick the wrong side in Libya and Egypt, what makes them think they are going to get it right this time. Someone recently said, "Are we about to become Al Quaida's Air Force?"...

In answer to the second question: If whoever had put soldiers on the street to inject bleach into each individual who died would we have the same level of outrage? Probably not. Because you can't claim it as a WMD. The stupidity is that, nowadays, some half arsed domestic terrorist who makes a frigging pipe bomb is getting charged with making/using Weapons of Mass Destruction. Yet, amazingly, the same government charging those idiots is throwing 2000 pounders around willy nilly and without remorse. But, really, when it comes down to it, does it really matter how you kill someone. The result is the same. Dead people. When someone has killed many thousands of people with bullets and big bombs does it really matter if they pop a few with an unconventional weapon that ceases to be dangerous in a short time... Think of all the minefields in the world that still kill years after the conflict is over.

There's no good reason to go into Syria so, "if it ain't broke" let's not try to fix it lest is cost us many more brave men and women. There's no winning by throwing a few TLAM's around because whoever ends up winning will hate our intervention anyway.

So, to be blunt. They are a sovereign country, screw them, let them sort it out themselves then decide what to do with the resulting regime.