PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Assessment- Sept 2013
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2013, 13:30
jimmyjetplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cross wind limits

magicmick

Not sure that I have said much to be criticised about in my posts.Please read on.

My reference to landing in a crosswind when I had no choice referred to my Instructing days when one could find yourself returning to the departure airfield or visiting another airport like Blackpool (coastal airport) and the wind could be gusting well above that which was forecast.

My point as also about experience.I referenced the programme 'terror in the skies' because on that episode there were clearly aircraft struggling to land in a crosswind that was clearly 'out of limits' and it seems they on that occasion had no choice but to land either.Of course company policy should always be adhered to but all the facts of the situation must surely be evaluated.If low on fuel for example, it may well be that Captain makes a decision to land in consideration of the fact that he would be endangering the lives of all on board if he could not land.Nothing wrong with applying well taught CRM based princples.

Second point illustrated in the programme is that every pilot is trained to a certain level of competency.This does not mean that all pilots are equally capable.Just as not all drivers could be formula one drivers.In this regard,refering to the film footage,in the same crosswind how was it that some palnes managed to land an one made at least two go arounds?

Last edited by jimmyjetplane; 29th Aug 2013 at 13:35.