PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 22:48
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to have been modded. Let me rephrase. The competitive environment is not conducive to new London - regional links. The train is much preferred over the whole airport experience, quite rightly for short hops. We have lost a great deal of domestic connectivity over recent years from London.
LCY-NCL/BHD/NQY/PLH/LPL/MAN
LGW-NCL/LBA/GCI/IOM/MAN/PLH
STN-PIK/BLK/NQY
LTN-LPL

A few died over night when the West Coast Main Line was fixed, a few died when APD was hiked. Ryanair exited citing APD and having to pay for the use of airports(!) LCY is a very tricky place to make money from as they have high charges and outwith core banking routes, airlines cannot cover their costs on domestics against LHR and loco. LGW has made a decision under new management to implement a pricing structure harmful to operators of smaller aircraft. QED cheerio niche domestic and flybe.
Still no sign of a replacement airline for LGW-NQY ?
Odd for a market which is proven at circa 100,000
Yeah, but pretty seasonal and not something LGW are presumably chasing after making certain flybe departed. The only likely candidate is easyJet.
100,000 over a year is only 136 each way on a daily A319. Now they're not gonna get that outwith the summer hols, so it's not looking likely.

Sorry if I came over badly, I apologise for my tone and choice of words. It was uncalled for.