PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 21:29
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Hollande describing a `vile act that threatens world peace' and Jay Carney telling White House reporters `expect it this week.'
Likely to see some surprising tactics etc used I think.
Since Kosovo and even Libya, experience with UAVs has increased considerably.
I remember reading something a few years back that said militarily, the US is not now a superpower, it is a hyperpower - with a military exponentially more lethal than GW1.
Personally, I think Putin and the Iranians are all talk.
They'll make all the noise in the world publicly beforehand, but openly confront the Americans in any significant way, or try and whack Israel with anything of substance?
They wouldn't dare.
With respect to those who hold different opinions (and we should hang our heads in shame for Rwanda) I think it's time to smash Assad.
Yes there'll be collateral damage, an Alawite/Shia/Sunni/Salafist mess afterwards, but are we really going to stand back and let someone like this gas his own people?
The speed with which the UK, France and other Allied nations have swung in to back the US suggests to me that the politicians and intel agencies know something we don't - yet.
Maybe sometimes the spooks do get it right.
This is different to Iraq (we don't have that terminal idiot Bush 43 in the WH, or a slippery little toad like Blair in Downing Street). As much as you all may dislike Cameron and Obama - I sense they've got a bit more integrity than those two.