PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 21:13
Lonewolf_50

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts
airpig, thank you for the reply.
bottom line up front:
My comments are not meant to to be alarmist just a view that needs to be made as the consequences of not thinking this thing through will have devastating consequences not just for the people of Syria but the region and the world.
Good point, and we are in accord on your general concern. If I may offer a rejoinder to points raised.
Originally Posted by air pig
1. During Gulf War 1, it was said that the Israeli's had James Baker warn the Iraqi's off, about using WMD through the UN.
2. The Israeli's reserved the right to use the Samson option and did have their nuclear weapons uploaded during GW1.
3. Considerable air and special forces assets were deployed in the Iraqi western desert to hunt for Scuds.
4. The actions of a despot in bringing the house down on himself and people rather than surrender and end up like Hussain, Ghadaffi or Coschescu (sp) and end up on the end of a rope or in front of a firing squad.
5. And, I have made this comment in the past, that after having 6million co-religionists industrially murdered over 12 years along with millions of other victims of Nazi Germany they would not allow it to happen again, no matter the cost. This has been displayed at Entebbe and in Ethiopia and in actions capturing Eichmann and the recent Dubai debacle.
Point 1: there was more to that than the Israeli issue, and Saddam shot Scuds at them anyway to try and drive a wedge between the US and its various Arab allies GW1. Didn't work.
Point 2: Of course they do. What's the point of having nukes if you don't reserve the right to use them, in extremis? As I see it, that has naught to do with current situation. I'd say their nuclear target list includes zero target sets in Syria, for a lot of reasons (proximity being one). Check a bit further east for their target list, I'd say.
Point 3: Irrelevant to the current situation, but possibly relevant if Assad tries to copy Saddam's Scud attacks on Israel.
Point 4: That indeed is the wild card, and the great unknown. Speaking of the Samson option ... pulling the house down indeed! To what extreme will he go? Your guess as good as mine.
Point 5: Israel will do what is necessary to ensure Israel survives. Agreed. In the long term, use of nukes may turn neutrals against Israel who aren't antagonistic now. The Strategists in Israel have to think long term, not just deal with a present problem. I think the smarter ones know that, and do that.

Thanks again for your views, you raise some good and troubling points.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 27th Aug 2013 at 21:14.