PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is now a good time to start training?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 22:53
abracadabra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Flypuppy.

Don't believe any of the hype the flying schools salespeople feed you. Of course they will recommend their best graduates if airlines come calling but they're not going to pester them in times like these. That's up to us!

Pay attention to facts published by the airlines or reputable sources like Flight Intl. etc. They will have the most believeable forecast figures, although don't forget the nature of this industry. The fact that airlines are hopelessly negative about hiring one day, and then desperately need a bunch of pilots tomorrow makes short-term forecasting difficult. Long term forecasting is always positive anyway, so what's the point?

To be honest, at your age desk-pilot you've got to check your bank balances, set your priorities and make a command decision NOW! Stop dithering. It is a huge risk, but so is not making a decision. Don't forget that with the amounts of money we're talking about you could easily hold on to a secure non-aviation career and just fly for fun. With 25k you could buy a half-decent plane, put a modest down-payment on a house, and fly on the cheap. Then you could rent the plane out to us wannabee suckers and make cash...

Then your one-plane operation will grow until all of a sudden you're leasing a 737-200 and interviewing some of us for a job and...okay, a little over the top. But I've made a point, I think.

abracadabra