PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC ground school notes. And some confusion...
Old 26th Aug 2013, 21:29
daxwax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC ground school notes. And some confusion...

Evening all.
So I'm early into IMC training and have been looking at good sources of ground school notes. I've found the following links which look good on many levels but are both quite old and have left me somewhat confused re: flight in Class D with an IMC rating.
http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/trainin...C%20Rating.pdf

http://www.takeflightaviation.co.uk/...urse_notes.pdf

The takeflight one confuses me as it states that:
"An IMC rating does not allow the pilot to fly in AIRWAYS at any time. Neither does the rating allow the pilot to fly in IMC conditions inside CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (Notified Airspace)."

The airways bit I get (although I will no doubt have a question about Eurocontrol airways in the future) but I thought a big reason to get the IMC rating is so that you can transit Class D in IMC / IFR?
E.g. I'm flying in cloud at 060 perfectly happy IMC. Do I have to drop down to treetops to get through the Class D VMC to stay legal?

It also confuses me as it suggests that the only time you can be in Class D with an IMC rating is on a Special VFR rating and thus need a min. 3kms vis so obviously not in cloud.

And finally it's got me questioning whether VMC on top is VFR or IFR. ie can I go through a Class D in gin clear at FL070 VFR or am I IFR?

I realise that iterations of this have been asked before on this and many other forums but I just want to make damn sure of what an IMC rating will and will not allow me to do once I've got it. Is there a definitive IMC ground school notes as the ones above seem to have confused me rather than clarified?

And I realise that once I get the rating I shouldn't go boring holes in cloud without ample supervised practice.

Thanks everyone.