PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is now a good time to start training?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 21:28
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Now is probably not the right time to get into flight training. There is simply too much uncertainty in the world's economies.

If you really are commited to becoming a commercial pilot then look carefully at the modular route. This allows for a certain amount of flexibility. Doing the PPL/IMC/Night ATPL ground exams and CPL/ME will take up about a year. At that point you can stop and see what has happened in the world. If things still don't look too rosy. Hold short on the IR, and start looking for some work to keep the mortgage paid. If you have skills that can be used on a contract basis (IT, HGV driving, offshore etc) it may be worth investigating those area before you begin any training.

At this point you will hold a commercial licence, and if there are signs that things are starting to pick up completing your IR will take a few weeks and you will be ready to tackle the interviews with the IR skills still fresh.

If you start training now bear in mind that you may not be able to find work as a paid pilot for sometime to come. At the end of the day the choice is yours, but you are investing a significant amount of time money and effort into something that may not produce a return on investment for up to 10 years after you begin.

If you are married or in a serious long term realtionship consider your significant other. Keep them involved and explain the level of commitment required, it will put a strain on your relationship. Some relationships do not survive aviation training. Be aware of the risks you are taking.

None of this is meant to put you off (believe it or not!) but you should always hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I am a similar age to you, so if you have any questions drop me a PM and I will do what I can to answer them.