PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 12:27
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not arguing for or against involvement, but your remark does make me wonder. I see that sentiment stated around here a lot these days. I would love that our boys and girls didn't have to be put in harm's way, but that is rather what they're for. WWI & WWII were total messes, the Falklands, GW1, GW2, NI, etc. The fact that there might be loss of life in a military action is probably not always the prime reason for not going. When our seniors faught the Nazis, the decission was taken (partly, at least) on the basis that the bad guys were wrong and we were obliged to try to stop them.

So this "total mess" (which I fully agree it is) and our potential military involvement there will need to be decided upon other criteria. That's not to say we shouldn't weigh up the possible losses - Charge of the Light Brigade springs to mind, Little Big Horn, etc.

That said, I too hope we don't have to face yet another senseless loss of life for the wrong reasons.
The wars and actions you have stated were in my opinion either wars between nations and in response to expansionism of other countries, liberation of places as desired by their inhabitants as in the Falklands, internal support for the civil authorities as in NI or under UN mandate (not GW2) or by invitation by a head of state as in Oman or Borneo.

This conflict has no real impact on the UK, and may indeed cause internal security difficulties as we have seen in the past. If there was a strategic importance, then I'd go with the idea of intervention but as there isn't this is one to sit out.

The oath I swore at Cranwell was for the protection of the Queen and Country, anything else has to be very carefully thought out, planned for and most importantly an exit strategy and post conflict reconstruction where required, not just kick the door in and think 'wtf do we do now' as happened in Iraq. I have no problem in deploying forces, but what is the objective and outcome envisaged not just giving politicians a warm fuzzy feeling at being big and hard, invariably it's not their blood and treasure being lost.

Last edited by air pig; 25th Aug 2013 at 12:48.