PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is now a good time to start training?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 14:47
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is now a good time to start training?

Undertaking pilot training seems to be only half the battle, timing it right is the other half. So is the timing right now to start training? There's a tactic that suggests starting training in a pilot recession should enable you to catch the upswing wave.

It would seem that against the odds there are some subtle signs of recovery in the pilot job market at present with several carriers starting to hint they may be recruiting later in the year. Others are starting partially sponsored cadet schemes eg Easyjet/CTC(which at least shows they anticipate a need to bring in new blood some months from now).

I find this hard to understand given we are days away from a probable Gulf II and Buzz had just pushed even more type rated pilots onto the market.

I'd value any views on whether you foresee things improving for self-sponsored pilots in the next 18 months (ie the time it takes to train from now) or whether we're likely to face a recruitment freeze for the next 4 years as happened after the first Gulf War. This information would be appreciated in light of the fact that I am seriously considering finally taking the plunge and doing an Ab-initio course.

I've spent two years dithering and at (just) 34, I can't really afford to wait another 2!

Thanks,

Desk-pilot