PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 08:32
jaedmunds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puma crash

I was serving with the Royal Engineers at Salamanca camp 1976/77 and I was a witness to the crash. I was facing east toward the landing pads with my back to the accommodation huts, the the puma was facing north, it lifted off and immediately turned east over the tree line (which was much closer to the pads then) gaining altitude. In less than a minute (approx) the engine noise suddenly quietened considerably and it began a banked left turn, I guess to return to the pads. The angle of the bank became more acute and the aircraft appeared to 'slide' across the sky, over shoot the camp area and crash into the jungle. The impact site from where I was standing was to the west side of the track and about 250yds north of the fuel hut. There was a very large explosion and fire on impact. We collected tools and hacked our way into the dense jungle from the road. I will gladly answer any questions about this sad event. BTW Airbourne Aircrew's drawing is almost as it was however the landing pads and fueling hut were 100yds further and the jungle started where the fuel hut is indicated.