PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you become a pilot while doing a degree?
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 01:51
turbulentmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me... well, seeing as it's exactly what I done/am doing. I worked 3 part time jobs at one point, while also studying for my degree in Computing Science. You've chose a good field with good job prospects.

I'm now working as a software engineer (landed a job before I graduated) and am building some quality time flying to all sorts of weird and wonderful places on my weekends off.

I aim to finish with no debt by earning the money before I spend it. This may be difficult come the IR but I've managed it this far and can see as far as the CPL without going into any debt (although I am hoping to get it all done on my own money, I'm also a realist). I can however be a long slog at times, especially when you watch other guys thunder through their advanced training in a matter of a few months. All in all though, you sound like you have the time to enjoy life while training at a reasonable pace. That's what I'm doing and I do recommend it. I will have to pick the pace up soon once it comes to the CPL but I'm in no rush to throw away a steady career until I'm absolutely ready... perhaps in another year or so.

You're in a very similar situation to where I was 4 years ago so I may be able to offer you an insight into my experiences and give you a heads up on what I done right or wrong.

What I would say is be smart about your timing - there's no point in doing your PPL during 1st year of university if you aren't going to do anything else until you graduate, but that's just my opinion. Feel free to PM me.

I may have provided too much information... 4reds may have worked out who I am