PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you become a pilot while doing a degree?
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 21:45
HighFlyerPL185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received my A-Level results last week, and I have decided in the end to go for an IT degree. I felt that its the only area that interests me, which in fact has almost a guarantee of a stable job after university (they want soft devs and web developers everywhere these days), with a good wage. I may have however not considered the fact that after three years, I'll end up being blind, looking at computer screens. My vision is already blurred, and I can't see at a distance, but I don't see double yet or anything. I'm really concerned about it. It's the only issue I'm worried about - rest is fine.

You need to figure out how you're planning to fund this dream, either with or without a degree.
Although it may sound snobbish and naive, I'll have the 'monies'. It will take many sacrifices in my personal life, but I'm not in a rush anywhere. I will work part-time at uni, and I will save up for a PPL from Maintenance Grants. Also my parents will probably give me some sort of support. I can then complete the PPL shortly after university, when I've found work, and work my way up. I'll take it slowly, work will be obviously in the way, but I'm positive about it all. Air Law after work, flying on a Saturday... all good.

However, I was wondering about one thing. I heard the industry isn't keen on old pilots these days, and the demand is on young pilots, aged below 25. Would my 'take it slow' plan backfire then, or is it better not to rush it? I still believe though, that if you really want something, you'll get there. Even if you're older.

While I think it's a responsible plan to stick to, I'm not entirely convinced I'm doing the right thing. I'm confused, but my parents have pushed me towards university. It was however partly also my personal decision, as I believe that a degree will at some stage in life allow me access to a better job, and to the career I want to achieve - flying. Whether that's true, we'll see in three years time

Last edited by HighFlyerPL185; 22nd Aug 2013 at 21:53.