PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair secrets?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 17:21
sky9

Keeping Danny in Sandwiches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report on the Madrid diversions on 26th July 2012 is included in this report on the diversion from Alicante to Valencia in May 2010.
http://www.fomento.es/NR/rdonlyres/5..._FINAL_ENG.pdf

The comment on the bottom of page 17 and 18 is interesting and well worth reading.

Page 25 has a report on the 12th July diversions, unfortunately is doesn't include the TAF for the day. The TAF and METAR are available on

Display metars

What is clear about both incidents is that all aircraft had close to minimum fuel as per company policy as set out on page 17.

Before I retired my own policy was to carry Flight Plan fuel except where the forecast weather was poor or there were known delays into the destination. When this was the case I didn't carry an extra 3 to 500 kgs but a minimum of 1000 and normally 2000 when thunderstorms were forecast.

If the Channel 4 report on a fuel league is correct that additional fuel would have been enough to put me at the bottom of the league while putting safety first. Fuel leagues should be banned by the regulatory authority.

The other issue that needs to be banned by the regulatory authorities is the use of contract staff who are on zero hour contracts and paid by the hour. Such contracts are in my view contrary to good safe practice as it could put pressure on individuals to toe the line whether or not that was the intention of the airline.

Last edited by sky9; 22nd Aug 2013 at 21:41. Reason: corrected the weather link