PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC 1-11
Thread: BAC 1-11
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 10:32
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around 1968 I flew on my first commercial passenger flight(Previously enjoyed an Auster "Jolly" from Clacton Airstrip)
Flew Heathrow- Glasgow on a BEA Viscount...was directed to the right, IIRC,as I'd been bumped of the previous flight.....as a naive 21/22 y.o. I didn't appreciate the significance
the rest of the weeks' itinerary was a bit of a comedown....hebrides,Wick via Vanguard ...the return involved a BEA Limousine from Dundee to Edinburgh Turnhouse, where the flight was cancelled due Wx. Coach to Glasgow Abbotsinch and a BUA 1-11 awaited us to teleport to Gatwick.
What a starship! my overriding memories....the push in the back after lining up. the super smart, quiet cabin, and a meal served on an hour's flight!
Upon landing, the massive deceleration...(Thrust-reversers?)
This was an amazing aeroplane compared to what I referred to as the Vickers Vimy, that BEA operated. I wondered how long they could continue to trade on the convenience of thiefrow, with the archaic ,vibrating, noisy Turboprop.
(hate to think how noisy cattle-class was, though I seem to remember the Hostie saying that the cheap seats were actually quieter?
Of course, the BAC left the noise behind!

Ahh, nostalgia isn't like it used to be!