PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the leap?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 10:54
pilotchute

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bug,

I'm telling you not to do flight training at all, Mod or Integrated. It just really isn't a good time.

I got my CPL in 2008. About a month after, the hiring boom that had been going full steam ahead for about 4 years came to a screeching halt almost overnight.The difference in my case compared to the majority was I didn't have any debt. I started a bit later than the average wannabe guy. I had a few years working up my sleeve and a bit of money in the bank.

The whole mod versus Integrated thing is a bit of a myth. If the airlines need people it doesn't matter to them what type or training you did. Planes don't fly themselves. When the market is tight they can put all sorts of stipulations on the hiring webpage. First time passes and other sorts of nonsense doesn't come up when they may have to park aircraft. Another myth is instructing is a dead route to the airlines. Well sorry guys but airlines aren't hiring anyone. Instructors included. When the market picks up instructors will again find jobs on jets/TP's.

In regards to P2F. I'm in SE Asia right now and I can tell you the Lion guys aren't having a good time. Well some maybe but most of them are scared stiff of still not having a job when they go. Qatar has taken a few but since the MPL started, no one has had a call. Scoot have picked up a few also. They then had to pay 35k for type rating on a 777. Believe me, the package they are on isn't very good.

Many people will get on here and tell you that line training is just part of the whole industry now. Well it isn't and don't make it like that. For every "my mate did line training and is now flying for XXX Airline" there are ten more people behind him who didn't get anything after line training finished. So now your 150k in debt with no job. I would rather be 90k in debt with no job than 150k!

Oh yeah it took nearly 3 years for me to land my first job. I could have got one 12 months earlier but I let my medical lapse! So I'm sure there may just be more people out there looking than you think.