PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair secrets?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 14:54
Interested Passenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the program was pretty poor. Too much time spent filming 'pilots' wandering around a futuristic greenhouse, not enough time asking the right people the right questions.

They were never going to go very deep in 25 minutes, and the reporter was certainly no Paxman, but as a passenger watching it i would learn the following;

After diverting half way across Spain for thunderstorms, the planes had about 30 minutes of fuel left, which is the legal limit. so that's ok. same as sell by dates on food, or tread depth on tyres. if it was dangerous to only have 30 minutes left, then the legal limit would be an hour, or two.....

RyanAir claim the Ryanair pilots group was set up by rival airlines. we then see the Ryanair pilots group chairman, Evert Van Zwol, who works for KLM. hmmmm

it was claimed pilots have complained directly to the IAA, who ignore them. The IAA say they replied to all contacts. someone's telling porkies, but the program didn't bother to find out who.

The Manchester/Memmingen incident was mentioned, but it sounded like pilot error, not company policy. After all, company policy isn't to crash near the airport.

the deep routed concerns about passenger safety the program claimed to be exposing, never really got exposed. the three fuel incidents are already well known, and nothing else really came out of the program. The pilots poll was mentioned, but nothing substantial came from it.

Back lit actors, with dodgy voice overs don't really carry any weight at all (who picked the voice overs?????) The Spanish atc had too much screen time, the other experts just stated the obvious.

A 20 minute interview with Cpt Goss would have been much more revealing.

I don't know what the programs intentions were, but I doubt it achieved them. All they managed to say was "Three Ryanair planes didn't crash or run out of fuel. this is really bad'

very poor journalism