PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the leap?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 22:27
Buggington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the leap?

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I can't decide whether to take the leap and do my pilot training.

I'm now eighteen; I've wanted to be a pilot since I was four and it's just stuck. It's all I can see myself doing as a career. I have considered (and applied, and promptly failed selection for) NATS air traffic control as a career. I am aware of the risks of becoming a pilot - I have done my research and know about the salaries, T's & C's and situation of the job market.

I plan to do my training at CTC - I have done the whole Modular vs. Integrated thing to death, spoken to some airlines about which they prefer and have decided on an integrated course. I've been to see about five different flight schools, and CTC was the stand out one for me. I know I could save a chunk of money by going elsewhere, but they didn't have the ties to the industry and I just wouldn't feel as happy spending the money there. While I'm on the subject of money, it wouldn't be done via a BBVA loan - it would be funded through a far more flexible route. Also, thanks to the Pilots' Apprenticeship Scheme, £42k can be put on the student finance system, which means until I earn above £21k a year I don't have to pay anything back.

I'm in the process of getting my Class 1 medical, and plan to try selection soon, after having prepared with some online tests. At least if I fail selection it will solve the dilemma once and for all!

I'm also looking into Higher Design/Engineering Apprenticeships in the Aerospace industry but really can't see myself going for any of these, despite the obvious financial benefits.

With all that in mind (assuming I get the medical and pass selection) something is still stopping me from saying "Yes - I'm signing up".

The issue is that I don't know what it is - if you were to ask me to sign on the dotted line for my training tomorrow, I wouldn't do it.

Hopefully I've explained this clearly, but the bottom line is that I would appreciate any sort of help making this decision, be it some pertinent (possibly even abrupt?) questions, some personal experience - anything! (assuming it isn't modular vs integrated)