PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair secrets?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2013, 18:45
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atom:

But would it be our much-loved CAA? After all, FR are not exactly British, are they?
Spitfire:

The CAA have no juristriction over Ryanair. It's the IAA

The UK is responsible for overseeing all aircraft that use UK airports, and they have de-facto primary responsibility for aircraft that are permanently based and operated in the UK - even if they are nominally on the Irish register.

You cannot register 737-800s in Bongo-Bongo land (to coin a well-known phrase) and permanently base those aircraft in the UK, and then claim that the Bongo-Bongo CAA allow 5-minute turnarounds, only 2 cabin-staff, and servicing of the aircraft at 10-year intervals. That, is not how aviation works, and any attempt to circumnavigate the rules could and should prompt a rash of Ramp Checks. (Or with Ryan, should that be SAFA checks?)

Grafity:

So you've landed below reserve fuel 3 times!! Without declaring an emergency?? And, you're worried about Ryanairs safety culture???
Sorry, chum, we fly by the company operations manual, and not by something unmonitored and unauthorised that you have trawled off the web. As it happens, our manual says we must have final reserve fuel at the FAF. So if you deduct the fuel from the FAF and the fuel for a long taxi-in, you can indeed be below final reserve when on stand. And if another CAA does not approve, they should make appropriate checks and send enquiries through the normal channels (see comment above).

JO:

I have personally watched 30 minute turnarounds as a flight deck observer with another operator and have found them to be well executed, safe and professionally handled. The notion that any CAA would have the authority to legislate a minimum turnaround time "just because" is hilarious. Unfortunate as it may be, the making of new rules, particularly those which restrict operations, is largely done in response to a tragedy. There is absolutely zero evidence that shorter tunraround times has led to a narrowly averted tragedy, never mind an actual one. Including that notion in your rant makes the rest of your rant of little value.

I find your view very disturbing, especially being a (senior?) check-captain. You are suggesting that it would be "hilarious" for a CAA to discover and pre-empt an unsafe situation, and legislate to prevent it. Sorry, but in aviation terms, that is Complacency Central. And then you go on to say that the CAA should rely instead on "Tombstone Engineering" (ie: only changing something after someone has died). Frankly, that is the most disturbing thing I have heard in 27 years of aviation. Shame on you.

You go on to say that: "there is absolutely zero evidence that shorter tunraround times have led to a narrowly averted tragedy". Yet I posted half a dozen instances were the multitude of problems had become so serious they got into the BBC news (plus we have had two Channel 4 documentaries), and all these problems/events were caused by pilots being too rushed (ie: trying to make up time, due to short turnarounds). How many similar incidents and problems were there, I wonder, that did not get onto the BBC or Channel 4?

And yet still there is "zero evidence"?

Mickyman:

I think their is a distaste for the success of this 'Irish' outfit among many of the contributors here due to inbred racism/jealousy or plain idiosy.
Spot the Ryanair manager, yet again.

No, Micky O'Reily, the problem is that we have a new airline pushing every rule and regulation to the very limits and sometimes beyond, and thus debasing and destroying the established regulatory and safety culture of European aviation. I am sure that the first European car manufacturer to use slave labour would do equally as well as Ryan has, and would equally undercut its competitors, but that would not make the automotive newcomer morally right or a bastion of good employment practice.

And nor would a complaint about such a new company constitute racism - it would merely be a complaint about poor commercial practice. I note that people on Pprune love to play the race card at every opportunity - but as the Micks are of the same Caucasian stock as most of the peoples of Europe, there is NOTHING racist in these complaints at all. Or are you mixing up racism with nationalism?

SSK:

If there were a sudden, downward blip in the share price, then the 'damage' might be quantifiable.
Ryanair Holdings suffered a 30p price drop since Monday (I presume since this is a LSE chart, this is in UK pounds). That is only about a 4% drop, which is not significant in financial terms.

RYANAIR HOLDINGS Share Price Chart | RYA.L - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance