PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 500 HOURS LT not much help
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 00:49
dvcanomanuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I am impressed with all these negative comments by Pilots who have lived and still live "the good life". Truth is the market at the moment asks for a minimum of 500 hrs turbine time and maybe 1000 TT for first officers. The real catch is to get those 500 hours turbine time.

There are only 2 options: 1) Airline hires you as first officer (not common)
2) You pay 50,000 for the Line training

I m glad you had the courage to do it. A few years ago, I totally condemned this behavior of paying to fly. But the world changes and if you don't do it, somebody smarter comes around and does it and now flies for Ryanair. And I just want to make it clear, that we really have no desire to spend 50,000 more just to have a better chance to sit at the right seat. Although I disagree with some of Ryanair´s policies, they are pretty much the only company hiring first officer with zero time. We really have no other choice...

I have 600 hrs TT, have both FAA and JAA licences, I am an instructor, have my MCC and A32O type rating, have a degree in Mechanical and Aeronautical Design Engineering, I am totally Bilingual English and Spanish and cant land a job at the airlines. Sadly for me, Ryanair only gets pilots with 200 hours so I had too many hours and didn't qualify.

Most of the comments I have read are from fellow Pilots who are lucky to be flying right now and do not care about the future generations which by the way, come more prepared and experienced at this premature stage than previous generations (No offence). Problem is, that getting a job at the airlines today is much more difficult than before, and its pay its much worse. Nonetheless,we still commit to the pursue of our dream, because for some flying is our dream and passion. Very few pilots these days really enjoy and are grateful for flying.

When I say more prepared I mean, If captains or experienced FOs who are currently flying had to sit down and take the type of theoretical tests they make the new FOs take..most would fail miserably. For sure they are great pilots, but most of the new FOs are very well prepared.

The world is changing and either you adapt or you die. For the pilots living the life right now...we want a piece of the pie too and at least I know I am not giving up.