PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De Havilland Comet C2 "Sagittarius" XK699
Old 5th Aug 2013, 09:58
Proplinerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's two years since the last post in this thread and today I happened to read this on Wikipedia (not that that means it's reliable, from what I've heard about W): "A Comet C2 Sagittarius with serial XK699, later maintenance serial 7971M, has been on display at the gate of RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire, England since 1987.[174][175] In 2012, with the planned closure of RAF Lyneham, the aircraft was slated to be dismantled and shipped to the RAF Museum Cosford where it will be re-assembled for display."

Well, I was at Cosford a few weeks ago and it wasn't on display there, plus, if it had been dismantled and taken there, I'm sure it would have been mentioned somewhere on the net. So, does anyone know the a/c's current status please?

I've also found that there is another Comet (4) survivor, in Mexico. However, keen as I am to see historic airliners, I don't think I'll be visiting that country any time soon, from what I've heard about the current level of drug-related violence there-tho someone please correct me if I'm doing Mexicans a dis-service by saying the above; no offence intended.