PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 07:34
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. Next SFO I do, i'll ask for the visual and tell them ''I'm British don't you know!'' Only problem with that is for the radio work as I would need to be PM. So, unless I have another capable Westerner sat next to me, I'm buggered as it's noodle boy doing the landing!

I could always get my Asian/Arabic F/O to do the PM role but unless he tells them the Captains OK ''cause he's British'', we wouldn't be offered the visual.

The 3rd alternative is that SFO ATC gets its **** together and starts providing the sort of service that many other International airports do automatically. Why make life more difficult than it really needs to be? JFK is another guilty party at times. ATC please note. You are there to provide US a service, not the other way round!

I'm not trying to make excuses for what will probably turn out as pilot error. Whether it is blamed on poor training, cultural issues or simply that the guy's ability was below average, flying into modern and busy ATC environments should be made as easy as possible regardless. It's called CRM. 'The use of all available resources, whether it be the aircraft, crew, ATC, engineering or any other resource for the safe operation of the flight. I don't think having a serviceable ILS available is too much to ask, is it?

Harry