PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss downsize definite
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 17:32
Stumpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IZ,

You mention the 30% now unemployed pilots in your posting. Are you sure all of these came from the bottom of the Swissair seniority list i.e. - the last in, first out principle? Well, they did not! Half of them were amongst the most senior captains in Swissair. This was wanted by management and agreed to by Aeropers because it would save a lot of money by reducing the amount of training required. I think a similar mindset is likely regarding this latest downsizing at SWISS. The Regional aircraft are the ones being downsized, but if you get your way regarding seniority, then only ex- Swissair pilots will be cut, meaning a lot of expensive training to take place. You are placing all your hopes on the Courts deciding in your favour, but I think it will all come to nothing if the politicians and financial institutions decide otherwise. At the end of the day money will be the only consideration and as it looks now, you had better start preparing for bad news if you are a low seniority Regional pilot in SWISS.